In Progress: Jellyfish Guitar

jellyfish in progress

So here’s my in progress jellyfish for the Jellyfish Guitar Morph project. I’m really happy with how this came out.  The tentacles are the only thing that’s giving me a hard time right now. I’m really happy with how the top part of the jellyfish came out. I created a path for the shape of the jellyfish. Then I used a spray brush to get the semi-transparent look to the jellyfish.  Then I took a hard crayon/charcoal brush and created the orange stripes. I took a thin brush and made the yellow stripes on the bottom. Then I took another spray brush and took  darker color than the base coat and added some darks to make the jellyfish look more realistic. I also took another spray brush and made the reddish spot in the jellyfish.

While I was working on this jellyfish, I was listening to some more Brand New.  They released a new song last week when I started working on this jellyfish so that’s been added to the playlist too. The new song is called Mene and I’m not sure how I feel about it. It’s not one of their best songs, it doesn’t even scream “Brand New” when you hear it. But that being said, it’s not a bad song, it’s just nothing amazing. It does get better as you listen to it more and more though. I also added a few songs from their Deja Entendu  album and one song from The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me. You can check out the playlist for this project here and I’d recommend putting it on shuffle so you get more of a variety.

In Progress: Guitar Jellyfish

final guitar

Okay so I know I don’t usually post twice in one week, but I’m really excited to share this with you.  I finished the guitar for my guitar-jellyfish morph project!  This was all done by hand.  I looked at a picture for reference but I created ever little thing about this guitar.  I made the shapes, the wood texture, the pick guard, the strings.  I chose the colors and I made frets and every little detail.  I’m so proud of this piece.  It’s the most realistic looking thing I’ve ever created in Photoshop.  I even added my name where the guitar company’s name would be.  I’m really excited to share this with you because it’s one of my more favorite pieces I’ve done.  I hope the jellyfish for this project comes out as good as the guitar.  While I was working on this piece, I was listening to Brand New, specifically  the songs: Jude Law and a Semester Abroad and Seventy Times 7.  Those two songs are on the playlist and I hope you give them a listen!  I’ll keep updating as this project goes on!

In Progress: Guitar Jellyfish Morph

guitar creation copy

So here’s my latest update on the Guitar Jellyfish morph piece for my Digital Painting class.  I created this entire image in Photoshop.  I know it’s not done but I’ve made some serious progress since the sketch a few weeks ago.  I found an image of a guitar so I could recreate the basic shape of the guitar.  Then I made rough outlines of the basic shapes: the body, the neck, the top.  I needed a wood texture so I found a tutorial and made my wood texture and overlaid it on the wooden pieces.  I still have to add the strings and the finer details of the guitar to make it look as realistic as possible.  Once I finish this guitar, I’m going to make the jellyfish.

While I’ve been working on this piece, I’ve been listening to my college radio station WSOU since I do some work there.  Right now, I’m helping out with the Punk University Show which you can listen to at 8pm on Tuesdays.  It’s a really good mix of punk and ska and I’ve been getting introduced to a lot of good music.  After the show, I’ll add a link to our Spinitron playlist and I’ll add it to this Spotify playlists.  Enjoy!